"Crispy" Yams dough filled with leek and mushrooms
this recipe will generate one roll, enough for 4 people as a starter.
Estimated preparation time:
filling preparation: ~20 min
dough mixing, shaping: ~30min
5 spoons medium sized well cooked yam, mashed (about 1 medium sized yam).
115g white flour
115g whole wheat flour
1tbs baking powder
1/2 tbs salt
3 spoons Orange guice
1.5 spoons Olive oil
1.5 spoons Canola oil
1 medium sized egg, for brushing
1tbs Nigella seeds, for decoration
1 pack of fresh mushrooms
1/2 a stem of leek
1 spoon olive oil
- Start with cooking the yam until it softens (I do it in the microwave)
- Prepare the filling: slice leek and mushrooms into thin slices.
- In a pan, heat up olive oil and fry the leek until golden, add the mushrooms. garlic is a good addition, also thyme. once the mushrooms had softened, correct seasoning and cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix flowers, baking powder and salt.
- Add oils and orange juice and mix to form a sandy texture.
- Add the yams and knead only until the ingredients form a consistent dough, avoid over-kneading.
- Heat up an oven to 180C.
- Flatten the dough on a flowered counter to form a rectangle about 0.5cm thick.
- Filter the filling from access fluids, and spread across the long side of the rectangle.
- Roll into a cylinder, brush with the egg and bake for 15-20 min, or until golden.
- Cool and slice to ~2.5cm slices.